What is God calling you to do in 2019?
By Jim Boesch
Did you the same, lame New Year's resolutions knowing they would run out of steam by Valentine’s Day?
What if you did something different?
- What if you started out this year on your knees, reminding yourself of the mercy, grace, and faithfulness of Creator God?
- What if instead of re-firing your confidence in yourself, you renewed your faith and trust in Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit?
How would that be for a change in focus and resolve?
I ask you to reflect on three questions as you consider your 2019 resolutions:
- Do you believe you were created by a loving God on purpose for a purpose?
- If so, do you believe God has a calling on your life to fulfill that purpose?
- Most importantly, do you know what that calling is?
First of all, you were, indeed, created by God on purpose for a specific purpose; not by accident and not by mistake.
In Genesis 1:26-31; 2:8-9;15, you can surmise one of God’s purpose for you is to tend His garden/His world as it has been since Adam and Eve.
Secondly, in reading Ephesians 4:1-13 it becomes clear you are called by God to use your spiritual gifts to build up the church, the body of Christ.
I recommend three resources to help you discern God’s call on your life:
- The Class Meeting –– Reclaiming a Forgotten (and Essential) Small Group Experience by Kevin Watson to help you form aWesleyan-style meeting.
- “Network Servant Profile Assessment Study” by Bruce Bugbee to help you assess your spiritual gifts, personal style and passion that together make up God’s calling on you.
- Soundtrack a 40-day playlist through the Psalms by J.D. Walt of Seedbed Ministries.
A deployed staff member of the General Commission on UM Men