Men and Scouts in Woodworth, La., package 10,300 dehydrated meals for Stop Hunger Now.
While numerical tallies of ministries coordinated by General Commission on United Methodist Men are noteworthy, they only touch the surface of actions taken by local and district units of UM Men.
In the first few months of 2014:
• Hopkinsville (Ky.) UMC gave copies of Strength for Service to God and Community to 250 first responders in their community.
• Wesley UMC in Charleston, Ill., sponsors a scout troop that collected 2,294 pounds of food during a Scouting for Food drive
• Arlington, Wash., United Church Men distributed Strength for Service to God and Community to 200 first responders involved with the Oso, Wash., mudslide.
• Men of St. John UMC in Anchorage, Alaska, built 500 seats for Personal Energy Transports for people who are unable to walk.
• Men of Shepherd of the Valley in Indio, Calif., raised more than $25,000 to purchase and equip a trailer for relief efforts by the California-Pacific Annual Conference.
• Crossroads District in Central New York purchased a van to help veterans get to medical appointments.
• Fifty-one UM Men in Barnwell, S.C. helped repair 68 homes damaged by an ice storm.
• UM Men of West Virginia Conference sponsored a Circuit Rider Camporee for 680 Scouts.
• South Georgia UM Men gave $10,000 to Andrew College in Cuthbert Ga., for “Roy Lifsey Memorial Scholarships.”
• UM Men of Bridge City, Texas raised $15,000 to provide a walk-in medical clinic for residents of Belize.
• UM Men of the Nebraska Conference provided copies of Strength for Service to God and Community to 200 first responders and volunteers who provided support for tornado victims in northeast Nebraska..
• Fifty-eight UM Men of the Winchester, Harrisonburg, and Staunton districts participated in the 16th annual golf tournament that raised $7,500 for Overlook Retreat and Camp Ministries in Keezletown, Va.
• UM Men of St. Paul UMC in Monroe, La., donated $23,000 to the Louisiana Methodist Children’s Home in Ruston.
• UM Men of the Upper New York Conference distributed 40,000 pounds of potatoes to the Central New York area in each of the last three years.
• Men of Christ UMC in Milton, Fla., served more than 200 meals to people in a nearby low-income neighborhood.
• UM Men in Anderson, S.C., cut, split and deliver firewood to financially struggling people.
• UM Men of the North Georgia Conference gleaned more than six tons of apples and distributed 50 tons of potatoes and beans through produce drops. They also packaged 150,000 meals for Stop Hunger Now.
• UM Men in Carmel, Ind., provided a fork lift to Red Bird Missionary Conference