Scouting Ministry Specialist
The UM Scouting Ministries Committee has created a volunteer position to help local churches establish and expand scouting ministry opportunities.
Requirements of a Scouting Ministry Specialist (SMS)
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Provide proof of youth protection training and/or take an online sexual ethics and safe sanctuaries course. (See below to take the online course.)
- Show a record of scouting/youth ministry experience.
- Read Scouting Guidelines (can be ordered through Cokesbury).
- Submit $45 to become enrolled as a scouting ministry specialist for 5 years (or $250 for a lifetime certification).
Responsibilities of a SMS
- Provide information about national awards
- Introduce churches to the God and Country series.
- Encourage church leaders to attend regional and national training opportunities. (See below for upcoming training events.)
- Assist with bishop’s dinners and other district and conference events.
- Cultivate relationships with conference and district leaders.
Scouting Ministry Specialist Resources
- For an overview of the SMS program, download the SMS brochure.
- Ready to become a SMS? Contact Marc Stowe at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application.
- We have assembled a package of resources to help you, as a Scouting Ministry Specialist, get started in your service. View the SMS Tool Kit (PDF)
- Need to get a copy of the Scouting Guidelines? Order one today at Cokesbury.com.
- Temporarily Unavailable - Need to take the Safe Sanctuaries & Sexual Ethics Course? Visit the links below.
Scouting Ministry Specialist Listing
A Scouting Ministry Specialist listing is available upon request. Please contact Marc Stowe, Scouting Ministries Assistant, at email@example.com or 615-620-7262.
Scouting Ministry Training
Would you like to learn more about scouting as a ministry? Attend and participate in a training seminar this year.